Explore Crystal Cave
A Fantastic Underground Experience for the Whole Family
Crystal Cave's guided tours will take you into our naturally preserved historic cave, which first opened to the public as a commercial show cave in 1893. You’ll enter this spectacular cave through the old iron gates from the original Springfield jail and walk into the cool underworld. The temperature inside the cave is a constant 59° fahrenheit. Once in the cave you will see many fantastic geological formations including stalagmites, stalactites, flowstone, and the rare helictites formations.
Crystal Cave boasts many one-of-a-kind underground rooms that your tour guide will share with you, including where one of the original owners cultivated their mushroom gardens back in early 1900s.
Crystal Cave includes:
- The Ghost Room – featuring 13 pure white stalagmites that are over 2 feet tall
- Rocky Mountain Chamber – featuring the Washington Monument. This famous natural formation has been replicated by Smithsonian curators and is showcased in the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.
- Concert Hall – measuring over 100 feet long and features hundreds of soda straw stalactites.
- Cathedral Chamber – featuring evidence of the earth’s movement 6,000 years ago.
- Chimes Room – with its natural dome ceiling some of the stalactites will produce a musical tone when gently struck.
Your guide will show you all of this plus Loyd’s Room, Rainbow Falls, Witches Bathtub, Jacob’s Room, the Helictite Room, and much more.